Paleo Breakfast Bars
Packed with protein and good fats, these no-bake, paleo bars are gluten, dairy and refined sugar free to help you kick start your day with healthy energy. Great for a quick breakfast, or as a workday snack to take the edge off that 3pm slump.
Heads up, these have almost no sweetness to them, so if you currently eat a lot of sweet food (including fruit and sugar substitutes), these may taste a bit on the bland side. If you're working on cutting sweet food out of your diet, make these again in a month or so after your tastebuds have adjusted to the change, and you'll likely find that they taste quite a lot sweeter than before.
That being said, if you really do need some sweetness, you could add a small handful of goji berries to the topping, or perhaps a few tablespoons of raw honey to the bar mix.
Lastly, these really must be stored in the fridge or freezer - otherwise your tasty snack will promptly become a puddly mess!
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup almond butter - make sure it's 100% almonds!
- 1/4 cup good quality, unflavoured, whole food protein powder (I use this one)
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- Line a slice tin (roughly 8 x 4 inches) with baking/parchment paper.
- Use a whisk to combine the coconut oil, almond butter and protein powder until smooth.
- Whisk in the coconut, salt and cinnamon.
- Pour mixture into your prepared tin, and tip gently to allow even spreading.
- Top with pepitas, sunflower seeds and cacao nibs. You may like to gently press down your toppings into the mixture to ensure no loose pieces.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes, then slice into pieces/bars - whatever size you wish!
- Remember - these need to be stored in the fridge or freezer!