Peanut Butter & Roast Banana Ice Cream Sandwiches
These will take a little extra time to put together (you'll need to start well ahead of whenever you want them by), so you'll just have to trust me when I tell you it's WELL worth it!!
Makes 4 Large Sandwiches
Roast Banana Ice Cream 1 large banana, sliced 1 tablespoons rice malt syrup 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil 1 cup coconut cream 1/2 cup whole milk 1 tbs vanilla extract
Peanut Butter Cookie 1/2 cup coconut sugar 1/4 cup crunchy peanut butter 1/4 cup coconut oil 1 egg 1 tsp vanilla extract 1/2 cup sorghum flour 1/2 tsp xanthan gum 1/4 tsp salt
- Place the tub of your ice cream machine in the freezer 12 hours before beginning.*
- Preheat oven to 180C fan forced, and line a cookie sheet with baking paper.
- Prepare the banana first. Combine the coconut oil and rice malt syrup in a small bowl. Add the banana slices and toss to coat.
- Spread the banana in a single layer onto the cookie sheet, and bake for 20 minutes or until slightly caramelised (be careful not to burn).
- Remove banana (keep the oven on at 180C), and cool slightly before transferring to a freezer-safe container. Place in the freezer.
- While banana is freezing, make the cookie. Re-line the cookie sheet with baking paper.
- Mix together the sugar, peanut butter and coconut oil in a large bowl. Add the egg and vanilla, and mix until smooth.
- In a separate smaller bowl, mix the sorghum flour, xanthan gum, and salt. Then add to the main bowl and mix.
- Using a spatula, evenly spread the cake batter onto the prepared cooking sheet into a rectangle approximately 25cm x 40cm.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then immediately transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely. Be careful not to crack the cookie.
- Combine coconut cream, milk and vanilla and frozen banana in a blender and blitz until smooth. Cover and allow to chill in the fridge.
- Once chilled, transfer mixture to the frozen ice cream machine tub. Place tub in the machine, and process for 20 minutes (or in line with your machine’s instructions). Place ice cream in a freezer-safe container and return to the freezer.
- Once the cookie is entirely cool, carefully slice it in half, crossways (perpendicular to the long edge), so you’re left with two rectangles.
- Carefully place one piece of cookie, top down, onto large piece of plastic wrap. Spoon the ice cream onto the cookie. Working quickly, use your fingers to make the ice cream layer even. Don’t let the ice cream get too soft.
- Place the other cake half on top. Firmly wrap up with the plastic wrap to hold it all together.
- Place the cookie in the freezer until set, at least 3 hours.
- Remove from the freezer, cut off any uneven edges, then cut into 4 equally-sized rectangles to make your ice cream sandwiches.
- Wrap the sandwiches individually, or store them together in an airtight container in the freezer.
*to make without an ice cream machine, place the banana mixture in the freezer at Step 5. Whisk vigorously every 30 minutes for 2+ hours, until it reaches an ice cream consistency.