Hearty Banana Breakfast Muffins
Here's a quick and easy breakfast option that's packed with protein, fibre and energy-boosting nutrients. One of these bad boys and you'll be well and truly set until lunch time! Mix up the toppings to add a bit of variety to your morning.
You will find these to be surprisingly moist for such a dense muffin. However, with the high flaxseed content, these are still going to taste their best on day one. On subsequent days, try giving them a quick zap in the microwave before eating. These are also lovely with a bit of grass fed organic butter!
Makes 6 Muffins
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 3 organic eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbs rice malt syrup
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda, mixed with 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup flaxseed meal
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Toppings of your choice - I used sultanas, coconut flakes, banana slices, walnuts, goji berries and buckinis.
- Preheat oven to 160ºC/320ºF. Line a six-muffin tray with squares of baking paper.
- Combine bananas, eggs, coconut oil, rice malt syrup and vanilla in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine almond meal, flaxseed meal, cinnamon and salt.
- Add baking soda and lemon juice mixture to wet ingredients and stir to combine, then add dry ingredients to the wet. Stir until just combined.
- Divide mixture into the six-muffin tray, and top with chosen toppings.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until muffins spring back when lightly touched in the centre.