Pumpkin Chilli Eggs
There's nothing better than finding yourself with extra time in the morning to cook up something a little special... and nothing says 'weekend' more than cookin' up some eggs!
I originally came up with this recipe after having my four wisdom teeth extracted in one go (thankfully, they put me 'under' for the rough stuff!). I was prepared for the pain and a miserable week of recovery, but I wasn't prepared for how hungry I would be! I found it virtually impossible to eat even the softest foods.
When I was eventually able to eat a little, this dish quickly became a staple - it gave me protein from the eggs, the anti-inflammatory properties from the turmeric, a dose of veggies and that chilli kick that I can barely live without. It was soft food, but not completely devoid of texture - a perfect, easy, go-to meal while I nursed my sorry self back to my former glory!
Adding pumpkin to the eggs also adds a kick of sweetness, and turns a ho-hum brekkie into something a little bit fancy... good enough for brunch guests!! :-) A few spices thrown in, and this is one pretty special Sunday morning.
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 1/4 cup grated butternut pumpkin
- 2 free range eggs
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat coconut oil in a small frypan over medium-high heat & sauté pumpkin until browned.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, chilli and turmeric (don't over-whisk).
- Spread the cooked pumpkin out evenly in the saucepan before pouring over the egg mixture. Reduce heat to medium.
- Using a wooden spoon, gently pull the mixture in towards the centre from the sides as it cooks.
- Cook until the mixture is no longer runny (or a leave a little softness, if you prefer) and season to taste.